Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Both Excited And Humbled

For better or worse, at least for the time during which they come to our school, I am a significant influence in the lives of children, and through them, their families. This is true for every early childhood educator. I think of it as a sacred responsibility, one that awes and overwhelms me when I stop to think about it, which I do quite often.

When it comes to rest of my life, however, I don't really think about the impact I'm having on others (my family excluded). Or rather, I think about it, but I don't hold it with any particular reverence. Perhaps I should, but it's hard to stay that focused all day long.

I've periodically shared here about my artistic endeavors: Carved BooksCarved Books AgainEven More Carved Books (And A Bonus Owl Photo!)Yet More Carved Books, Yet Again More Carved Books


Funk & Wagnall's, Lobate-Z

Vogue, December, 2008

Now We Are Six (A.A. Milne)

The Patchwork Girl of Oz (Baum)

Le francais partout 1

Leaves of Grass (Whitman)


(Here's the link to my online gallery if you're interested in looking at more.)

I've had some of the works on display in the North Seattle Community College library for the past couple months. My friend Elinor, a librarian at the college, told me awhile ago that an instructor had brought his class by to look at my work. I was flattered, but thought nothing more about it until I recently learned that the entire class used my work as a jumping off point for creating altered book art of their own, which are now displayed in alongside mine.


They will remain on display with my work until at least May 3 when there will be a reception to show off their art as well as to recognize me.  I'm both excited and humbled. And I'm more than a little bit staggered to think my artwork inspired others. I can't wait to get up there to check them out. They look amazing.

Bookmark and Share

12 comments:

Unknown said...

How exciting. I hope it is a wonderful celebration. I know you will enjoy meeting the students. You are a great encourager.

Michelle said...

Wow!! Congrats Teacher Tom!! Although I have never met you personally, you have impacted my life and inturn the life of my own children and the children in my care!! Your a man of many talents!!

Ms Debbie said...

Man of many talents !

Deborah Stewart said...

How awesome that the students used your work - not so surprising though since your artistic work is absolutely amazing. I am applauding the recognition you are receiving:)

Play for Life said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Play for Life said...

Congratulations Tom! ... How's this for timing ... It's because you are a teacher of varied talents both inside and outside the classroom that we have nominated you for an 'Honest Scrap' award today. So please add the both of us to the list of people you have had a significantly influence on too!

Congratulations Tom! ... How's this for timing ... It's because you are a teacher of varied talents both inside and outside the classroom that we have nominated you for an 'Honest Scrap' award today. So please add the both of us to the list of people you have had a significant influence on too!

:) :)

P.S. Your artwork is very beautiful!

Play for Life said...

Sorry Tom!
I don't know how I keep mucking up comments... seriously! As I said in my list of 10 honest things about me, when we accepted our 'Honest Scrap' award ... I am completely useless on a computer ... I was just trying to fix a spelling error and now you get the error and the correction ... go figure!
Oh well never mind it's another good opportunity to say ... your artwork is still very beautiful!
Donna :)

Mr. Halpern said...

Wow, that is some really impressive artwork... I will NOT let your amazing talent make me feel like the most uncrafty guy among us... truly amazing stuff.

Lindsey said...

Carved books, what a totally awesome idea! They look great, and so cool that your work was the inspiration for other people's arty exploration too!

The comment you left on my blog a couple of weeks ago has not just led me over here to your blog, but through your blog to a whole load of other really awesome people like Sherry and Donna too. So glad that you took the time to say hi. I'm sure your work both in and out of the classroom has influenced people around the globe via the interwebs!

Launa Hall said...

AWESOME. Thank you for telling us! Well, well deserved, and what a smart teacher that was to see how inspirational your work would be for his/her students.

Maya Catching Butterflies said...

Tom, is the reception open to the public? I'd love to attend if it is. I'd like to applaud you in person.

Teacher Tom said...

@Maya . . . The reception is Monday, May 3, 2-4 p.m, but I'll send out more info. in the next week.