Tuesday, June 09, 2020

Protest Music



Some of my older white friends have been asking, "Where's the protest music for this movement?" Here are a few from Black men I'm listening to right now, but there is so much more. We can't normally hear this music because our white bubbles deafen us. These are mostly new new songs, but you don't have to dig at all to find that Black people have been making protest music for a long, long time. If we haven't heard it, think what else we've been missing.

As early childhood educators and parents of young children, we should know it's not their job to be heard. It's our job to get close enough, and be open enough, that we can listen.

I urge you to take a little time today to listen your way through this list, feel the tears on your cheeks, then use that feeling to act.















******


I'm excited to announce that Teacher Tom's Second Book is now available in the UK, Iceland, and Europe thanks to my friends at Fafunia! It's also available in the US and Canada. We're working to find our distributor for Australia and New Zealand. If you want to go directly to the Fafunia page click here.  And if you missed it, Teacher Tom's First Book is back in print as well.

And finally, this is uncomfortable for me, but I earn most of my income by speaking at education conferences and running in-person workshops. I've had 95 percent of my income wiped out for the next 9 months due to everything being cancelled. I'm hustling to become a new and improved Teacher Tom. I know I'm not the only one living with economic insecurity, but if you like what you read here, please consider hitting the yellow donate button below.


I put a lot of time and effort into this blog. If you'd like to support me please consider a small contribution to the cause. Thank you!
Bookmark and Share
-->

No comments: