Saturday, May 21, 2011

Use It Or Lose It




























If you've been reading here a long time, more than a year say, you may be aware that we own at least one styrofoam head. Well, this morning I'm going to confess that we own 8 of them waiting for "just the right project" and in the process of getting ready for the big move (the bulk of which is happening today, which is why I'm keeping this post short) I made the decision that I've felt compelled to make many times these past few weeks: Use it or lose it.



This is what I most often do with scrap styrofoam, combine it with golf tees and hammers.


I tossed in some pipe cleaners as well.


Ahem, well, to the grown-ups at least, it came across as a little macabre. But I'm thinking for the kids it was more like playing with a larger, traditional Mr. Potato Head. You know, the old school kind when we stuck things into actual potatoes. If you ignored the sight of young children taking hammers to heads . . .


Alright, so at least we used the heads. 

Oh, I know, we received a big jewelry contribution awhile back that included many, many earrings for pierced ears. 


The kids have had fun with the rings, necklaces and bracelets, but there hasn't been much to do with the earrings. It had, however, seemed a pity to just toss them into our collage box, so I've been waiting for "just the right project." 

Use it or lose it.








I will say that this was a very popular activity, particularly with the Pre-3 class.

Just thought you'd like to know what you'll be getting into in case you were thinking of trying this project yourself.

Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

Deborah said...

Hahahaha! Those are awesome!

Becku said...

YES! Once again you inspire me. Our local Saver's Thrift Store has been selling these. I look at them, wonder and walk away. NO MORE I can't wait. Thank you Teacher Tom.

Debbie said...

My little one loved using markers to color and decorate my Styrofoam head.Yours turned out more useful, but these heads are so fun and entertaining for little ones.
http://whisperswhispering.blogspot.com/2010/05/some-fun-art.html

Play for Life said...

Hee .. hee .. I think the golf tee going into the eye is definitely my favourite picture T.T.!
Donna :) :)

Juliet Robertson said...

Woah - this is new to me. Great!

All the best with moving day.

LeeanneA said...

I have 'ONE' of these laying around somewhere as well! Your activity was more than fun I am sure! You have inspired me to dig out my styrofoam head and do something new with it. Hopefully I will blog my idea soon! Thanks for all your inspiration!

Muma Paparazzi said...

This one brought tears to my eyes...in a good way. So funny hmmm on the look out for a head now. Good luck with the move :)