Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Silly Hats


I think it's absolutely essential for every preschool have a collection of silly hats.

Top hats . . .

. . . floppy hats . . .

. . . exotic hats . . .

. . . cowboy hats . . .

. . . theatrical hats . . .

. . . clown hats . . .

. . . beach hats . . .

. . . hair hats . . .

. . . hats, hats . . .

. . . and more hats!

And if you have silly hats, you might as well have some silly faces to go with them.




Since I know people will ask where I got these, here's the box.

And if you have silly hats and silly faces, you're going to need some mirrors to see just how silly you are.



I like having two of these. If you hold them in a "V" shape and a child stands
in the open end, they will see multiple reflections of themselves. The narrower
you make the "V," the more they will see. Does that make sense?

Convex mirrors make you appear upside down, which is quite silly . . .

. . . but a long sheet of flexible mirror is the silliest of all.

And that's what you need to throw a silly party.

Did I forget to mention the silly glasses?







I tried the experiment of entirely encircling children in this
6' long piece of flexible mirror, but none of them would
stay in there for more than a second before demanding 
to be let out. Thomas said it made him look "long," 
but it was apparently a freaky sensation. I couldn't get
my whole body inside to see what he meant.









At Woodland Park the word "silly" is considered a high compliment.


Bookmark and Share

8 comments:

S. Krajicek said...

I love the convex mirror frame... Did you rig that up?

MOM #1 said...

Oh, my favorite are the hair hats. I'll take the pea green beehive. I'm sure I'd look DELIGHTFUL in that.

Barbara Zaborowski said...

A few words, please, on the flexible mirror...is it mylar? Where did you get it? I WANT ONE!!!!

Cathy @ NurtureStore said...

What I think is expecially great about hats is that they're so easy for the kids to put on by themselves - no ribbons / buttons and so on to slow down the play. Do you know the book Millie's Marvellous Hat by Satoshi Kitamura, about a little girl who imagines the hat on her head - I think you're kids would love it.

marcia said...

Love the hats, love your ideas and your blog is very COOL!

I awarded you a Verstaile Blogger award.

It is your choice whether to play or not, but I still wanted to include you in the blogs that most inspire me and that I want to share with others.

happy day!

abbie said...

Forget my preschooler! I would have fun with all those dress-ups! Great stuff.

Juliet Robertson said...

And where's YOUR hat, Tom? We're missing a vital photo here!

There's a very creative teacher in my local school who once did a super photography project with his Y4 class. They all had to bring in silly hats and take photos of them in the local park. So there were hats on litter bins,hats in the bushes, hats on the rocks, etc. It was great.

Teacher Tom said...

@SK . . . The convex mirror is something I got through Discount School Supply or maybe Early Childhood Manufacturers Direct, I don't recall.

@MOM #1 . . . I actually have 4 of the green beehive wigs. There were 4 in a bag and I asked, "How much for one?" The sales person answered, "Five dollars. Or if you buy all 4 I'll give them to you all of them for $2." Seriously!

@BZ . . . I got the flexible mirror from Archie McPhee (http://www.mcphee.com), "slightly less disappointing than other companies," but I see they don't sell it online. It's not mylar, but I don't know what it is. I had two of them, but I keep cutting sections off of one to make art projects.

@Cathy . . . I don't know that book! I'll check it out.

@Marcia . . . Thank you so much! I'm very flattered!

@Juliet . . . Those are ALL my hats . . . In fact, I have many more still at home. I love the photo project!