Thursday, February 13, 2014

Not Feeling So Good



A long time ago my friend Jay told me this story about his father, a man who worked his entire adult life as a boilermaker in Indiana:

"Sometimes when I wake up in the morning I don't feel so good, but I figure I might as well at least get out of bed.

Once I'm out of bed, if I still don't feel so good, I figure I can at least get dressed.

If I still don't feel so good after getting dressed, I figure some food might help, so I eat breakfast.

If I'm still feeling badly after breakfast, I figure I'm already up, dressed, and fed, so I might as well go to work.

If I get to work and I'm still not feeling so hot, I figure I'm already here, so I'll just work until lunch.

At lunch, if I still don't feel good, I figure a little food wouldn't hurt me, so I eat.

If I still feel bad after lunch, well, I tell myself, You're already here, so you might as well just finish the day."

Jay asked his dad, "Do you feel better when you get home?"

"Sometimes."

"What do you do if you still don't feel good?"

"Well, I figure I've got an early morning, so I go to bed."

Jay asked, "Couldn't you just take a day off?"

And his father answered, "You can't take a day off from not feeling so good."


I put a lot of time and effort into this blog. If you'd like to support me please consider a small contribution to the cause. Thank you!
Bookmark and Share
-->

1 comment:

Marta Zeegers said...

My kiddos love to read, Over and Over (Yay!) "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day." I love the line about moving to Australia, and the Mom coming back to say even in Australia...
It pays to let children know how we're really feeling, and that things will be better.
Thank you, Teacher Tom!
Marta