Friday, September 21, 2012

Don't Let Anybody Tell You Different

































(A while back I posted my Greatest Hits as determined by readership statistics, which then got me thinking about older posts that I wish more people had read, which has now become a sort of irregular series. This one is from April of this year, originally published under the title "Why We're Here On Earth." To be honest, I'm not sure if I'm re-posting this one because I want more of you to read it or because I need to read it again here at the beginning of the school year, a reminder of a teachers proper classroom stance in a play-based classroom. At the bottom of the post you'll find links to others in this series of posts I wish more people had read.)


I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different. ~Kurt Vonnegut


Yesterday's circle time on our old blue rug was a perfect example of its type. We spent a good 10 minutes making up painful, icky, cold, and silly things to sit on, including a discussion of what exactly constitutes potty talk, then we sang a song, then we gave each other compliments (which were mostly just invitations to play dates), finishing by counting all of the links in our compliment chain aloud (371, give or take). And then we were done. You know, we just farted around.


The hamster wheel doesn't come apart on it's own. Someone has to work on taking it apart, removing the wheel from its stand.


I'd been wondering why someone would be doing it every day. I now know who's been doing it.


And I also know why: he's just been farting around.


Kids have been asking why we have this giant pencil. I tell them it's for drawing and writing.


They've figured out, however, that it's just for farting around.


Sometimes we fart around by putting cowboys in Wyoming and grandpas in Ohio and Winnie the Pooh in Georgia . . .


. . . or by lining up the "big boys" . . .


. . . or combing the ponies' manes.


We fart around with our whole bodies . . .


. . . inside and out . . .


. . . or up in the trees.


It's why we're here on Earth, man. The people who try to make it about anything else are wrong.


Other posts I wish more people had read:


I put a lot of time and effort into this blog. If you'd like to support me please consider a small contribution to the cause. Thank you!
Bookmark and Share -->

No comments: