Sunday, February 05, 2012

Coloring Within The Lines

































A few days ago I received an email that read, in part:

Dear Teacher Tom,

. . . I was wondering if you could blog/share your thoughts about coloring books and coloring within lines. I have a 4 year old who loves to paint, but he doesn't paint within the lines, he doesn't draw tree and flower shapes as his friends do and such. I am not overly concerned about this, but I would love to get your opinion . . .

Regards,
Gayathri

In kindergarten, Mrs. Jennings handed out pre-printed pages of train car outlines for us to color, each of us with a box car or passenger car or coal car that were, when finished, to be arranged on the walls of the room as a complete train. I felt somehow honored to have been entrusted with the caboose, for which I chose red with yellow accents. She gave us careful instructions, admonishing us to not only strive to stay within the lines, but also to use only horizontal strokes as we filled in the various white voids.


My rebelliousness is not inborn, but has rather has come to me with age. I didn't perceive Mrs. Jennings' instructions as anything particularly confining. To the contrary, I recall taking pride in adhering precisely to her rules, and in the end admiring how accomplished my caboose looked when all the crayon strokes went in the same direction. The completed train ran along the wall above the blackboard for the rest of the school year, where I often admired my own handiwork. From that point forward, whenever the opportunity came to color within the lines, I took it on eagerly, employing the techniques Mrs. Jennings had taught us.

I was a boy who enjoyed coloring books and could spend hours practicing and perfecting my side-to-side-within-the-lines technique. To this day, when I doodle, I often draw shapes or find shapes pre-printed on my page, then carefully fill them in. I find the process meditative.


What I don't recall is whether or not my classmates also followed Mrs. Jennings' rules, that perhaps in all fairness, may have been offered more as "suggestions," but were merely heard by me as instructions. The proof was right there on the wall of the room all year long, each train car colored by a different hand. I remember the train as a whole, but not its individual components other than my own and the wonderful black engine Mrs. Jennings colored herself. But I'm inclined to think, knowing what I know now about kindergartners, that the others did not stick as rigorously to her techniques.


Whatever we may now think of Mrs. Jennings' project, it seems apparent to me that she did one thing brilliantly: she did not make it into a competition by comparing our finished work or making us otherwise feel that we'd not toed the mark. There they all were in the end, side-by-side, inside and outside the lines, smooth strokes or scribbled, linked one after another along the wall. I imagine other children looked up and admired their own work, being pleased perhaps by their choice of colors or swirling crayon strokes, not even noticing or even being aware that there was anything wrong with a few stray marks outside the lines. I also imagine there were others who got the project done as quickly as possible, sloppily, not caring at all for the process, never even later noticing the train on the wall.


Each year, we do a handful of potentially "inside the lines" types of projects at Woodland Park. For instance, around Halloween we always spend at least one session painting jack-o-lanterns that I've pre-drawn in permanent marker on their paper. Naturally, I don't say anything about staying within the lines, but the lines are there and a few of the older children will always accept the challenge of staying within them. In the end, whatever they look like, just like in Mrs. Jennings' class, they all get hung up on the wall, side-by-side, equally, with no editorializing or comparisons from me. Some of the children will eagerly show their parents, "That one's mine!" while others can't be bothered to even look that way again.


The same goes for drawing or painting "tree or flower shapes." A few times a year, usually with our Pre-K kids, we attempt "art" projects that involve following step-by-step instructions. For instance, I challenge them each year with "If" paintings with a proscribed process of 1) conceiving and articulating a concept, 2) drawing the picture in pencil, using an eraser if necessary to get it "just right," 3) tracing over the pencil lines with permanent marker, 4) choosing colors, and finally 5) painting. My object is not for them to produce a work of art so much as to expose them to a 5-step process. Most of them, as I did with Mrs. Jennings' instructions, take it on as it's intended, a challenge not unlike balancing across a beam or assembling a puzzle. There are always one or two, like me, who really dig on the process itself and work through it several times, taking pride in their work. And, yes, there are almost always a few who either don't or can't accept the challenge.


I'll always remember Jarin's "If" painting from several years back. Drawing was not one of his fortes, but he gamely joined the others at the table, starting with the concept: "What if 1 were 2?" As the others went about putting wings on elephants and candy on trees, Jarin sat there with pencil poised over paper, his mind apparently blown by this idea -- What if 1 were 2? As the others marched through the steps he remained there seemingly both stuck and struck by this impossible mathematical concept. In the end he wound up with a paper topped with his question "What if 1 were 2," a pair of very faint pencil marks, and nothing else, but what a lot had gone on inside his head during the time he struggled with this big idea.

I didn't hang the "If" paintings on the wall, but if I had, Jarin's would have looked feeble compared to the "tree and flower shapes" of his friends, and how unfair it would be to judge the work he did that day by this "painting."


It's as impossible as expressing Jarin's concept, I suppose, to expect humans to not, at least at some level, look around at what the others are doing and compare them with our own children. How tall are the other kids his age? Are any other 3-year-olds still in diapers? Everyone else seems to be able to draw a tree or a flower or to stay within the lines. And there is certainly some valuable data to glean from this, especially if one's child appears to be an extreme outlier, but there is real danger, I think, when this kind of thing makes us feel competitive or inadequate on our child's behalf.

The paintings on the wall, the test scores, the grades only measure how well a child manages to stay within the lines, which is, after all, at best, a limited grounds upon which to form judgments. It tells us nothing, for instance, about what happens along the way.


Coloring within the lines is a fine thing, but all you need to do is take a look at the paper train that is humanity to know that life itself is an outside the lines endeavor and that each of us strays outside them every day. If our child's caboose or box car diverges from some arbitrary "norm" it is indeed not cause to be "overly concerned." In fact, it is usually cause for celebration.

I put a lot of time and effort into this blog. If you'd like to support me please consider a small contribution to the cause. Thank you!
Bookmark and Share

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A semi-open ended project of drawing a family portrait inspired a wall entitled Snapdragon Neighborhood: home of Happy Families. Media was mixed. Variety encouraged.

One child looked at his own colorful background and then at the detail of his peers. He kept quietly looking as I said "Don't forget your family". He gravely observed the others and compared them to his own. looking up he said, "Oh, they are there. They are invisible."

Problem solved .

Lana Kristine Flores-Jelenjev said...

Ohhhh I do love this post. Guilty in some cases but I do try to keep in mind most of what you have written. I particularly like the last paragraph. My husband and I were just talking about how our children love to "recreate the play rules in board games" and they are only 3 and 4 :) But its good to know that they can think out of the box.

stephanieleah said...

I love the comment by "anonymous" above. I think it speaks volumes.

Children have their own artistic process. Invariably each year there are children who, when ready to color in the lines, draw their own lines into which they color. I trust children's abilities to create the experiences for 1. which they are ready, and 2. which they will benefit somehow.

That said, I have offered children paper with a thick black circle drawn on it, just to see what they will do with it. It's like my own little discovery of what they will do with that circle, almost like a way of getting to know the children better.

Thanks, T, for another thought provoking article.

Anonymous said...

Gayathri,
You will find a wonderful conversation about the process vs product theory at Pre-K and K Sharing:

http://www.prekandksharing.blogspot.com/2012/02/childrens-art-process-versus-product.html

Tom,
You are so right to say that hanging up "If 1 were 2" would not adequately portray everything that went into its creation. Thanks for another thought-provoking post.

Leslie said...

loling about little Jarin pondering, what if i were 2? brilliant!

Erin said...

When my daughter was four, we were given some developmental sheet to fill out. One of the questions was if the child colored within the lines. I realized I had no idea. While art and creativity were/are a part of our every day, she had never had a traditional coloring book. Now in school they have coloring sheets every day as a transition activity, and she hates it. She colors quickly somewhat haphazardly usually in one color then adds her own details to the picture with pencil - her favorite medium. it's just who she is.

Melanie Cramer (Ms Melanie) said...

Dear Teacher Tom,
You are my new hero. You deserve the cape. I taught 3's for many years and left to start a process-oriented art studio for kids. It's called Outside the Lines Young Artist's Studio.
Secretly, I like to color inside the lines myself. I have always enjoyed the challenges posed by boundaries. And in my preschool I advocated for BOTH process-oriented art and art within boundaries. There is value in staying "inside the lines" too.
Reading your childhood experience of coloring according to the teacher's directions as "enjoying the process" was very powerful for me. Jarin's story is equally powerful. Art is just so big, sometimes I think every thing fits inside it. Thank you.
~ Ms. Melanie

Gayathri said...

Dear teacher Tom,

Thank you for the post in response to my email. A couple of days ago when I was talking to my son about waxing and waning of the moon he said "amma, when there is no moon I will get into a rocket ship and color the moon white". I think the reason he doesn't sit to paint within the lines is because his mind is racing with so many different ideas. He is into role playing now and is constantly changing clothes or putting on a jacket or a pin to become a construction engineer, train conductor and pilot.

Once again, thanks.

Gayathri