Sunday, January 16, 2011

Love Is Winning


Nonviolence is absolute commitment to the way of love. Love is not emotional bash; it is not empty sentimentalism. It is the active outpouring of one’s whole being into the being of another.” –MLK
“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." –MLK

When I was in 2nd grade at the Meadowfield Elementary School in Columbia, SC, there was one black boy in my class. He and I called one another “best friends." We played together at recess. We were the two fastest runners in our grade. He never saw my house and I never saw his. That was 1968, the year Martin Luther King was assassinated.

We cut out paper chains of people holding hands in brotherhood.

Two years later the courts ordered Columbia to desegregate its public schools. Most of our neighbors chose to send their kids to private schools, but my parents put me on the bus to Atlas Road Elementary, a run-down facility in the heart of an all-black neighborhood. One of my neighbors prepared me for my first day by telling me that she’d seen people “defecating in the roadside ditches” along Atlas Road. My parents, however, had taught me that we were all the same inside and I was thankfully young enough that I took them at their word.

We learned that everyone's skin is a shade of brown and that we could match 
any skin color by mixing, brown, white, red, and yellow paint in 
different proportions.

I’m pretty sure my “three R’s” education was sub-par that year: to this day South Carolina’s public education system ranks near the bottom. But that wasn’t the point of desegregation. The point was to have black and white kids grow up together so that they could learn through experience what my parents had taught me: we’re all the same.

We even tried to match MLK's exact skin tone based upon
a painted illustration from one of our books.

In fact it was economics more than race that marked the year for me. I was disappointed almost to tears when we exchanged Christmas gifts (each child brought one gift to be randomly distributed) and I wound up with a pair of socks that appeared used. And race certainly didn’t stop Shirley Jeffcoat from having a very embarrassing public crush on me. We were just kids together. We were all the same, except some of us were a lot poorer than others.


We built with MLK robots blocks.

When I spoke to my Pre-K kids about Martin Luther King last week, I told them about the history of slavery, segregated restaurants, schools, and water fountains and they agreed it was unfair. Dennis, in particular, seemed stunned. Max starred at me like he didn't believe what I was telling him. When I paused periodically in my description to ask, "Does that sound fair?" They answered together, "No." When I said, “And today we try to be fair to everyone,” there was universal nodding. When I said, “Martin Luther King’s dream has come true,” Ariya spontaneously clapped.

We found rich dark brown coffee grounds, with powdery yellow cornmeal
separated in our sensory table . . . 

I believe that we have solid evidence that his dream has come true. Of course, racism has not been eradicated in our country, but it’s in full retreat. Racists are decisively in the minority and polls indicate that it’s an ever-shrinking one. And it’s only going to get better because our children are growing up in this world we’ve created, not the one in which we grew up.

. . . then we mixed it all together

The experiment of desegregation and civil rights is working and I’m proud that my parents had the courage to make me a part of it. It’s no accident that just as the “desegregation generation” comes of age, we elect our first black president. I am aware of no other nation in the history of the world that has elected a member of an ethnic minority as its supreme leader.



This is the final battle of the Civil War. Non-violence and love are winning.


Love is not “emotional bash.” I’m more confident today than ever that love is the most powerful weapon in our arsenal. As MLK said, “I am convinced that love is the most durable power in the world. It is not an expression of impractical idealism, but of practical realism. Far from being the pious injunction of a Utopian dreamer, love is an absolute necessity for the survival of our civilization. To return hate for hate does nothing but intensify the existence of evil in the universe. Someone must have sense enough and religion enough to cut off the chain of hate and evil, and this can only be done through love.”


As we celebrate today, we should feel good about ourselves. The fight is not over, but we are succeeding in cutting off one chain of hate and evil. But racial justice is only the first part of the mission MLK set before us. The poverty I glimpsed in that 4th grade classroom is still with us, and there are still too many who think war is the solution.

Poverty and peace are next on our nation’s agenda: problems just as "impossible" to solve as overcoming racism in America. When the bus pulls up in front of our home, we must have the courage to put our children on it. We must fight evil with love. And we must not despair that we will not win in our lifetime, but maybe, just maybe, our children will see the promised land.

(Reprinted, with updates and new photos, from 1/13/10)


Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Kristin @ Intrepid Murmurings said...

Thank you for this wonderful post! The ways you discussed, explored and celebrated Dr. King are delightful and I am touched by your childhood experiences, as well.

I am going to borrow some of your ideas to do with my girls tomorrow!

Play for Life said...

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

I LOVE Max's reaction to your story. It tells me that his generation ARE going to make a BIG difference!

Donna :) :)

Now I'm off the Youtube to listen to MLK's "I have a dream" speech. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that although I have read it I have never heard him deliver that speech! :(

Kim said...

My Martin Luther King discussion came to an abrupt halt because one of my preschoolers has some serious anxiety issues about death. I avoided any discussion of MLK's assassination, yet he pressed me, understanding somehow that I was withholding important information. Then he broke down. I want to continue on with MLK's big ideas. Perhaps focusing on love is the way to go.

Jen said...

I have been reading your blog for several months now & love it. Thanks for all you write about. I teach kindergarten at Caughman Road Elementary in Columbia... just down the road from Meadowfield! I was surprised to see you went there.

Unfortunately, Columbia school remain much more segregated today than they should be. Still, I love my job and my great kids.