Friday, January 21, 2011

It Raises The Same Questions


I wrote yesterday about how our school is operating during the week I've taken off to help manage my family's move, but yesterday I was in there for our Pre-3 class' parent meeting.

The first thing that caught my eye was this interesting composition on the bench in our boat:


Man, I want to know how this happened. Was it just one kid who did this? Two? A whole a gang?


Was there a shared story that went along with it or was it a silent, cooperative construction project like the one that broke out last week in the Pre-3 class?


It uses loose parts that I've not seen touched for months. Was my absence the cause of this or was it the different presence of Teacher Terry or Teacher Brooke, the parent-teachers in our cooperative who've been filling my role? Maybe an adult made it? 

I don't need to know the how of it, of course, the fact that it's there at all is enough to be assured that children are learning and the school lives with our without me. 

Inside, I found this, a sorting of the cutlery unlike anything I'd ever seen before. Usually it's all just tossed in there.


It raises the same mystifying questions and provides the same satisfying answers. This is the place I want to spend the rest of my life.

(Personal note: Today is the final day of my family's move. I'm sitting in my new living room surrounded by boxes, but the internet is already up and running so no more excuses!)

Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Ms Debbie said...

This post made me smile. Last year in May our home based preschool was up for our annual quality review. My mother had cancer and was in hospice at her home. My brother and I were staying with her. It got to the point that I had to choose between being with my mom and being there to make sure " everything went well." Of course, I chose my mom and of course, they came. My husband " full time helper" and my substitute ( who only works as needed ) called and text basically saying " oh crap! But dont worry.." I told them it would be wonderful just to play with the kids and let it be a normal day. Inside I was shivering. Would they know how to do all the " little" things I do that look like nothing but have real meaning in an inspection ( such as the way we wash a table?) I had to just let it go and be with my mom. They passed !!! I am so proud of them When I came back through the door I did as you are doing and looked around. I saw little signs of learning and " happy" everywhere. I wondered how what they did in the music area. I wondered who made the 3d art that was displayed on the shelf . I too had all kinds of questions but one that always stays the same... this was the place I love and want to be the rest of my life and the coolest part is - I can be gone and I have equipped my teachers and my kids enough that they can go on without me when they need to.

mumusok said...

Congratulations on surviving your move!
Both your post and Ms Debbie's made me smile. Oddly enough this kind of thing happens all the time in my own house. I'm busy doing something and the kids are playing. It might just be a question of 15-20 minutes and when I walk into the next room there is a lego tower taller than the kids, or a box transformed into sculpture or the furniture rearranged in a way I'd never thought of, or all of the stuffed animals gathered for a show. 'Who did this?' I'll ask, but the kids are already completely immersed in a new project.

MOM #1 said...

I wonder who the phantom silverware sorter really is? Good luck with all that unpacking. That's the worst part.

Unknown said...

I have been praying for you and your family during the move since I learned of it. I hope it went well!

Rebecca said...

Hey Teacher Tom! I really like your blog! The silverware sorter, the fact that education is something we do with kids not to them, the way so many kids asked about the bandaid on your shirt but no adults did. I've never worked with preschoolers - I tutor students in math from elementary school through adult - but was inspired to see you working with many of the same themes I contemplate daily (autonomy, creativity, motivation, self-direction...). Hooray!