Friday, December 03, 2010

Decorating Teacher Tom


A couple days ago I posted about a belated Thanksgiving Day craft involving feathers made from small clothes pins.


I'd made about 250 of the things with the idea that the kids would just take them home on their paper plate turkeys, mainly because they were cheap and I didn't want to store them. MaryLea from over at Pink and Green Mama, from whom I borrowed this idea, wrote in the comments"

. . .your turkey feather clothespins are great and I KNOW your kids are going to find a lot of other uses for them -- I can see it now, feather clothespins anchoring forts and clipped to the edge of tents, etc.

Now, it hadn't occurred to me that they would have a life beyond this project, but at MaryLea's prompting I left a small basket of the leftover feather clothespins in the classroom on Wednesday and forgot about them.

Preschool teachers get used to the feeling of little hands touching and tugging on them, but at some point I noticed a pull on my shirt tail that was stronger and more insistent than normal.


Well, MaryLea was right, except instead of forts and tents, a clutch of our 3-year-old girls had decided to turn me into a turkey.






Yesterday, the other kids discovered the feathers and the game they developed was to secretly clip them onto their friends and the other adults in the room. I'm sure several of us went about our evenings yesterday unaware that we'd been decorated. It wouldn't be the first time.

Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

woodenspade said...

Oh my! My kids and my husband play the "clothespin game" too! They started years ago, and STILL play it occasionally--they are 10, 13, and 14 yrs old!

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

AWESOME!!!
Your kids are the best! : )

I've got our basket of feather clothespins in the playroom too.

xoxo
pink and green mama,
MaryLea

Unknown said...

You are just too cool for school, Tom! Love this! I meant to make a new batch this year and just didn't get to it. Isn't it fun when the friends find new way to use materials you'd thought had been forgotten? :)

Deborah said...

Hahaha! I love it!

Unknown said...

Fetching : )
Wishing you a wonderful weekend Tom!

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of when my class decided that I could hatch eggs. They left little pieces of paper under my chair with Love,____ each signing another child's name. This went on for a few weeks and kept them laughing and writing. I was shocked of course each time I discovered a new egg.

Michaele Sommerville said...

SO funny and sweet! My students tend to try to style my hair (so I often wear it braided or UP) if I wear it down. They want to touch it, take their headbands out and put them on my head... Sixteen years of teaching and the Lice Fairy has created an automatic flinch response in me.