Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Reason, Perseverance, Patience



Back in 2015, I came across a collection of Bloomberg graphs showing how America has changed its collective mind on social issues like interracial marriage, prohibition, women's suffrage, abortion, same-sex marriage, and the legalization of cannabis for recreational use. In most of the charts we see that these issues have a tendency to bubble along in terms of support, somewhat under the surface, with slow, uneven progress over decades, until, suddenly it seems, the change becomes inevitable.

Women's suffrage is the classic example. In 1890 Wyoming granted women the right to vote. Three other western states joined them (Colorado, Utah, and Idaho) joined them in fairly rapid succession. Then for 15 years after that, they remained the only states that permitted women to vote until, suddenly, between 1900-10 eight other states joined them. In the following five years, even more suddenly, another 15 states signed on, creating the momentum that lead to the passage of the 19th Amendment extending voting rights to women everywhere.

This phenomenon has stuck with me because I've spent most of my professional life hoping to move the needle on play-based, or self-directed, learning in preschool and beyond. The deeper I dig into the science of how humans learn, how our brains work, and how curiosity-based learning is the most rational approach if the goal is self-motivated citizens who work well with others. 

Standard schooling, contrary to the evidence, is largely based on a top-down approach in which adults tell children what, how, and when to learn, then employ an elaborate system of punishments and rewards designed to "motivate" the kids. Research consistently finds that this behaviorist approach to schooling is, at best, a waste time for most kids, and the main lessons many children learn are either that school is stupid or they are. 

When I started blogging here in 2009, I naively thought that I would be part of the sudden, final surge. After all, the case for play-based learning is so obvious. Despite the overwhelming scientific support for curricula based on play, however, and despite our best efforts, most schools have proven to be largely unable or unwilling to embrace any sort of meaningful change. This is true even as nearly every early childhood educator I've ever met knows the truth about play. 

One of the lessons I've taken from these charts, and my own experience with trying to move the needle, is that reason alone isn't enough. Societal progress also requires patience and persistence. After all there was a 180 year gap between when the first states that legalized interracial marriage (Pennsylvania and New Jersey) and it finally becoming law of the land in 1967. Another lesson I've taken from these charts is that in the beginning, it happens in just one or two states.

In 2018, New Hampshire amended its education law to require public kindergartens to provide "child-directed experiences," "movement," "creative expression," "exploration," "socialization," and "music." Oklahoma's Play to Learn Act passed in 2021 doesn't go quite as far, but it does state that "(s)chool districts shall not prohibit a teacher from utilizing play-based learning in early childhood education." This year, Connecticut's legislature passed education legislation that directs "playing-based learning during the instructional time of each regular school day" not only for publicly-funded kindergarten and preschool, but also encourages elementary school teachers to do the same. Not only that, but the law also requires professional development, including training on play-based learning for preschool through fifth-grade teachers.

I'm not discouraged by the fact that in all three states there remains a mandate for instructional time (e.g., academics) as well. I'm confident that when professional educators find themselves doing both, they will see, with their own eyes, the power of play. I'm a little less confident that administrators will "get it" as long as funding remains connected to standardized test scores. And I'm very concerned about the influence of for-profit "education companies" that will find that it's hard to make big bucks off play. But I'm hopeful that schools will discover that true play-based learning can be far less expensive than those off-the-shelf, churn-and-burn academic curricula that cost districts and states millions every year.

If you're an educator in New Hampshire, Oklahoma, or Connecticut, please know that you are in the vanguard. I urge you to embrace play as fully as you can, because that is the future, even if it's 180 years away.

I know it can be difficult to keep the big picture in view as we spend our days on our knees, eye-to-eye with children who need us to sooth them, to wipe their runny noses, and to listen with our full selves. I also know that it can feel like nothing changes when it comes to our schools. But I wanted to post this today as we launch the Fall 2024 cohort for my 6-week course Teacher Tom's Play-Based Learning, because, after decades of bubbling along under the surface, the slow, uneven progress toward play-based learning might be underway. Sure, there may still be decades between now and then, but this morning I'm hopeful that reason, perseverance, and patience will make this change inevitable.

******

I've been forced to close commenting directly on blog posts because when I open it, the threads get spammed by bots, but if you're an educator in New Hampshire, Oklahoma, or Connecticut, I'd love to hear your thoughts on your states' new laws. Please drop me a line on Facebook, Instagram, X, or Linked-In. Or email me at TeacherTomHobson@TeacherTomsWorld.com. How is it going? What are your hopes? Fears? Thank you!



I put a lot of time and effort into this blog. If you'd like to support me please consider a small contribution to the cause. Thank you!
Bookmark and Share

No comments: