Friday, March 22, 2024

"How Many Times Have I Told You Not to Run in the Hallway?"



A friend recently purchased a new home. The first thing she did was paint the walls, because, as she said, the old color depressed her.

We all know that our surroundings can have a significant impact on how we feel and even behave. And this is even more true for young children.


A long unobstructed hallway “tells” children to run.


A mobile hanging from the ceiling says to jump, or climb, in order to reach it.


Furniture arranged in a circle suggests a race track.


A room that echoes, urges children to shout.


Sand and water say, "Dig!" and "Build bridges!"

In frustration, we say things like, “How many times have I told you not to run in the hallway?” because, indeed, we’ve said it countless times, while the hallway itself is telling children just the opposite. No wonder they often look so confused when we scold them.


Our classrooms, playgrounds, and homes are in constant communication with the children, but the best learning environments are ones that engage in a two-way dialog


As an educator, I begin my day before the children arrive, working with my environment – “the third teacher” – to make sure that we are on the same page. When we can offer children the kind of safe and beautiful place in which they are free to engage, in which the messages they receive are consistent, and where learning – not behavior – stands at the center, we are offering children what I call a natural habitat for learning.


******


If you're interested in transforming your own space into this kind of learning environment, you might want to join the 2024 cohort for my 6-week course, Creating a Natural Habitat for Learning. This is a  deep dive into transforming your classroom, home, or playground into the kind of learning environment in which young children thrive; in which novelty and self-motivation stand at the center of learning. In my decades as an early childhood educator, I've found that nothing improves my teaching and the children's learning experience more than a supportive classroom, both indoors and out. This course is for educators, parents, and directors. You don't want to miss this chance to make your "third teacher" (the learning environment) the best it can be. I hope you join me! To learn more and register, click here.


I put a lot of time and effort into this blog. If you'd like to support me please consider a small contribution to the cause. Thank you!
Bookmark and Share

No comments: