Friday, June 08, 2012

Daily Affirmation




When our daughter was a baby, we had her diaper changing area set up in such a way that she could watch herself in the mirror. I always wondered if she knew she was looking at herself or at some other interesting baby, but in any event she certainly liked what she saw. She would kick and stretch her legs at that baby, make faces at it, and sometimes even seem to try to talk to it. She liked that baby in the mirror so much that I'd often just pull a chair into the bathroom and read while she played with her little friend.

As she got older, I got in the habit of stopping in front of mirrors to say, "I am sooo handsome." Like The Fonz checking his hair only to conclude, "Heeeey, I can put this comb away," it began as a small attempt by a new parent to role model a healthy self-image. It has now evolved into a family joke, but the idea is still there.

I've always loved reading Nancy Carlson's I Like Me! to preschoolers because when that self-loving pig sees herself in the mirror, she says, "Hi, good looking!"

This video has been making the rounds since 2001, so you've probably seen it, but it's well worth another watch. If you haven't seen in, you're in for a treat.



May you feel like Jessica all weekend.






I put a lot of time and effort into this blog. If you'd like to support me please consider a small contribution to the cause. Thank you!
Bookmark and Share

No comments: