Monday, January 23, 2012

This Is The Critical Phase




My wife and I have a joke we tell each other: "This is the critical phase." Voiced in moments of stress or anticipation, it never makes us laugh, it's not that kind of joke, but it always make us smile, reminding us that we've been here before and we'll be here again.


I have a picture in my head, maybe we all do, of what life will be like once we're past the current critical phase. It's a picture in which all the home repairs are handled, my loved ones are contentedly thriving in their own endeavors, and money is not an issue. It seems like so little to ask, sometimes it seems like it's right around the corner, but when I look up I see yet again that this is the critical phase.


That's what it's all about, after all, getting up each morning and wrestling life into shape. And when things do start to feel a little settled, when we do start feeling masterful, in control, that's when we're most likely to do something really "stupid" like take a risk. You know, something like agreeing to chair a local non-profit's annual fundraising auction, or taking piano lessons, or hosting a dinner party, or starting a new school. And there we are again: "This is the critical phase." People are counting on us, we are counting on ourselves, there are obstacles to overcome, ledges to walk, the prospect of failure in the offing.


I try to learn the lesson this time, don't bite off more than I can chew, don't worry about falling, but then I remember that I'm going to be getting out of bed each morning and wrestle with life anyway, even if it's just household chores. It might as well be with new challenges, ones with a bit of risk attached, because that's the only way I'm ever going to learn anything new. And after all, that's why we're here.


From critical phase to critical phase we go, step over step, hanging on, moving forward, perhaps wishing it could be different, but knowing all the while that we wouldn't have it any other way.


This is the critical phase. 

I put a lot of time and effort into this blog. If you'd like to support me please consider a small contribution to the cause. Thank you!
Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

Lesley @ early play said...

THANKS FOR REMINDING ME THAT LEARNING IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT. tHAT'S WHAT YOUR BLOG DOES FOR ME OVER AND OVER. cONGRATS ON THE AWARD from Australia

CARRIE said...

Whenever I begin to feel frustrated by all the things on my plate, things I willingly took on, I remind myself that my inbox will never, ever be empty. That life would carry on even if I wasn't here to see it all through. And it helps me let go of the frustration, the anxious need to see it all cleaned up, put away, paper-clipped and in the outbox. Thanks for the reminder that the journey is the point.

Kristi said...

I really, really needed to hear that this morning.