Sunday, December 25, 2011

I Hope

































I hope you're with your family today or friends you love very much. 

I hope you spend this day with your congregation or your neighbors or your one special person.

I hope you touch them with your hands, embracing them even if they, or you, aren't the touchy-feely type.


I hope you look into those people's eyes, living now with them, filling them up with how much you love that they are here with you.

I hope your television stays dark today, darker than the longest night sky, and instead you sing some songs, dance, and, of course, tell stories you've told again and again until they're frayed at the edges: stories that are the continuation of the ones that we've told since the beginning of people. I hope today you'll add a new thread to our story, that one that goes back so far no one can say who first told it. 


I hope you sit on laps or too closely on the sofa or forehead-to-forehead and giggle about something that no one else would find funny, breathing the moist laughter you make together.

I hope you play as if you are a child.


I hope you do it all again and again and again, every day, every moment, until you are the story we celebrate together on this day each year.

I hope that you know you are my story and that I love you. 


I put a lot of time and effort into this blog. If you'd like to support me please consider a small contribution to the cause. Thank you!

Bookmark and Share

9 comments:

Lucille said...

Great post. Merry Christmas.

MOM #1 said...

Divine!!! Let's hope for all those things together!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the warmth of your heart and the kindness of your hands and the respectful way you work with children. Thank you for your insightful blogs.

Anonymous said...

Awesome post! And with that, time to shut down my computer for the rest of the day:)

Deborah said...

Merry Christmas Tom:)

Scott said...

Merry Christmas Tom!

Jessica said...

Brilliantly written!

Rachel said...

Love you too.

Stephanie Stroh said...

This is so awesome that I would want to make a blogger account just to comment on it. Thanks a lot.


Working at best online mba programs