Friday, September 25, 2009

Grr

I’m taking off this afternoon after my Pre-3 class is dismissed and heading up over Stevens Pass to an isolated corner of the Icicle Creek Valley near Leavenworth, where I’m staying with a group of guys at a rustic lodge.

It’s apparently a nice place in beautiful setting, where we should be surrounded by spectacular fall color. We’re expecting sunshine and highs of around 75-80 and nighttime lows down in the 40’s. My friend David invited me, who I know through several years of making art together with the Fremont Arts Council.

I live with my wife, daughter and two female dogs, all of whom I love dearly. In my job as a cooperative preschool teacher I spend my days surrounded by women, and not just women, but women performing their role as mothers, many of whom are pregnant. It’s a job I enjoy immensely, and they are colleagues I wouldn’t trade for anything in the world. But still, that’s a whole heck of lot of girls.

Not only am I going to be spending my weekend in the company of men, but we’re going to be doing manly things. The Copper Notch’s new caretaker is apparently feeling overwhelmed and we’re going as an volunteer work crew to clear brush, cut trees, chop firewood (with a pneumatic log splitter no less), and build a trail down to the river. We’ve been enticed by the promise of whiskey, poker and gigantic meals.

Grr.

See you Monday.

Until then, here’s a dancing baby:



Fatherhood Friday at Dad Blogs


Bookmark and Share

12 comments:

Mark Rose said...

Tom,

Have a great time. I attend a couple men only retreats every year and am always amazed at how rewarding they are.

Mark

Eternal Lizdom said...

Ooo!! Kill something with your bare hands and mark your faces with its blood! Bang on your chests and holler at the moon! Run around in loin cloths and hide in trees! Speak only in grunts and hand signals! Manly men!

Otter Thomas said...

Sounds like fun. I hope you have a great manly time. I get my retreats every year at deer camp. I drink beer, kill animals, shoot guns, eat fresh kills, and generally act manly. Good times.

Otter Thomas said...

Sounds like fun. I hope you have a great manly time. I get my retreats every year at deer camp. I drink beer, kill animals, shoot guns, eat fresh kills, and generally act manly. Good times.

MYCLOSETGARDEN said...

Haha, video was funny. Have a great trip. I disagree with those being manly activities, us girls enjoy chopping wood too!! :)


http://inbugsdrawers.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

The last time time I did this I permanently lost my big toenail, the words log fight come to mind, I don't know it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Have fun Tom!

MYCLOSETGARDEN said...

Btw, I don't like the Beyonce video, I think its sexist, but the baby is cute. Haha, I had to clarify that :)

Anonymous said...

Power tools and whiskey, sounds like fun. I just had to flex my manhood before spend a week in LA seriously outnumbered at a blogger function. I just ground, seasoned and mixed 15#s of sausage using my new 1hp grinder and then will be cold smoking it tomorrow while watching football. Enjoy your time away!

Unknown said...

I hope you are having the BEST of times : ) Girls are so fun, but sometimes, you just gotta get away from us! The emotions are off the hook : )

WeaselMomma said...

Enjoy the guy time and grunt lots.

Jason, as himself said...

I know what it's like being surrounded by women constantly.

But when I get together with "the guys" we don't do manly things!!!

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

Good for you! Hope you had fun.